Friday, December 14, 2012

TODAY & MY CACAO CRAZE


I started my day today with a visit to my chiropractor.  I am truly in love with his staff by now.  They are working wonders on getting out all the emotional scars and knots left from past traumas.  My day only got better from there.   I stopped by the shops on the way home and lucked out on picking up a new blender for $10 marked down from $80.  Superb win for the day. 

I came home and spent some time making besan flour.  It’s quite simple actually.  All you need is:

Garbanzo beans
Food processor
Coffee grinder (not required but helps make more flour out of the beans)
Sifter

Run the beans through the food processor, sift it, grind left over bits in coffee grinder and sift again. 

Why may you ask did I decide to make besan flour???  Well, I discovered its benefits while surfing the net for at home natural remedies that lighten your skin tone.  I tried out the recipe with the items I had in my kitchen already and put in an order for the things I was missing.  So far, I have been mixing 3 tbsp of besan flour with the juice of ½ lemon & ½ lime.  I have already seen significant improvements in my complexion.

Still, my day got even better when I received a package via USPS priority mail.  In it, came my Organic Spirulina, Ashwagandha Root, Turmeric Root, and Kelp powders (I have posted some key benefits of all these at the end of my post today).

Oooo.. and I must not forget, in the package also came my Organic Cacao Beans, and these I must take time to talk to you about.

I had ordered Cacao nibs after reading many vegan recipes which called for them.  They sat in my refrigerator, unopened for over a month before I decided to get them out and work with them.  I was actually quite uncertain of what to do with them until I remembered reading smoothie recipes that had called for them.  So, I made a smoothie – it was good, not the chocolate blast I was expecting – but consumable.   Then, during the weeks leading up to my finals, I started consuming the recommended amount of 2 ounces every day.  

And, let me tell you…. these have been called the “food of the gods” and for no small reason.  I can honestly say that yes.. I supplement my diet.  And, I do so because it makes me feel good knowing I am putting in all kinds of good stuff.  but, I don’t really think I have ever felt the direct effect of one single supplement that I am taking.  However, within four days of eating 2 ounces of the organic cacao nibs, I felt them and they were in every respect noticeable.  I was breezing through my finals, happy as a lark (& let me mention now I carried a 19 hour load including Physics, Calculus I, and Chemistry).  My Calculus professor even commented on my “cool as a cucumber” state.  I have not stopped raving about them or consuming them since.  Classmates and professors joked that many addicts speak of a certain drug this way..  but, seriously, I can’t advocate supplementing with them enough.  I call them nature’s prozac.  I swear....absolutely amazing!  AND...Today, my whole organic cacao beans arrived!!!  and, for those of you reading this who are not tolerable of unsweetened foods can either sweeten them yourself with agave nectar or, order them presweetened.

In the words of my best friend Robin…

“AND THEN….” I spent my afternoon running on the trails with my very best bestie in the whole wide world and our 5 furry friends. 

I came home and heated up leftovers from my most recent favorite dish (I tend to make a new dish and completely obsess over it and eat it for several weeks in a row – right now, it’s a whole wheat penne pasta dish with Italian squash and sundried tomatoes coated with my homemade organic vegan pesto creamed with an ounce of soy milk when heating.)

I watched some history channel documentaries on youtube and am lounging around for tomorrow brings a BIG DAY:::  my very first 5 hour trail training run!!!  So excited!  I hope to get some great pics from the run to upload and a link my garmin page showing the map of course covered.  

Toodles for now, ya’ll!

~Amy


info on supplements with a link pasted for ordering or browsing:

Organic Cacao Beans – boosts energy and enhances mood, contains anandamide (a euphoric substance), arginine (a natural aphrodisiac), and tryptophan (a natural antidepressant).  They are also high in magnesium and contain one of the highest levels of antioxidants on the planet, exceeding that of red wine and green tea.  Flavanols in cacao help maintain youthful, beautiful skin, and is a good source of sulfur which promotes healthy skin, nails and hair.  The ORAC levels (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity – how they measure the antioxidants) in cacao are valued at 13,120 per 100 grams.  Compare this number to blueberries at 2,400; strawberries at 1,540; and spinach at 1,260 – that makes cacao 5.5 times more powerful as an antioxidant than our precious blueberries.

Organic Spirulina powder – type of blue-green algae found in most lakes and ponds.  It has been consumed for thousands of years by the Aztecs, Mayans, Africans, and Asian peoples.  Spirulina consists of approximately 60% amino acids - the building blocks of our bodies.  It is also rich in other nutrients including B complex vitamins, beta-carotene, vitamin E, carotenoids, manganese, zinc, copper, iron, selenium, and gamma linolenic acid.  If purchasing, buy organic as most non organic forms have been found to contain nitrates.

Organic Ashwagandha Root powder – stimulates neurotransmitter pathways in the brain enhancing memory and other cognitive processes.  Research has found it to increase levels of three powerful antioxidants:  superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase.  It is also used to promote reproductive health, longevity, and stress relief for a variety of bodily systems.

Organic Turmeric Root powder – this I ordered to use in my face masks as it has proven to bleach your skin (to its natural color, evening skin tone), but it also has many many benefits when added to your diet as well.  It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent when used topically, prevented breast cancer from spreading in lungs of mice, current studies showing it can prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma cells to commit suicide, natural liver detoxifier, natural painkiller and aids in fat metabolism.

Organic Kelp Powder – this I ordered for my dog, who has inherited an immune disorder from his mummy which causes him to have allergies.  Besides treating doggie allergies, it has also been helpful for nails and hair loss, regulating thyroid and pituitary, cleanses body of radiation and abounds in calcium, chlorine, potassium, and magnesium.

Link to FAVORITE WEBSITE where I purchased these items:

No comments:

Post a Comment