Sunday, December 16, 2012

Right Mind Right Action


My run yesterday was a success in unexpected ways.  I was hoping to be able to run 25 miles in 5 hours putting me at a 12 minute per mile pace.  Instead, I ran 18 miles in 4.5 hours, putting me at a 15 min/mi pace.  My run gave way to annoyance when I embarked along a trail that took me along the back side of the mountains where the park staff has been unable to clear the trails as fast as the trees have come down in recent storms.  Being unable to run at a steady pace for having to stop and crawl over, under and around trees, I finally let go of the frustration and decided to continue on anyway.  The most important part of the day was getting my body used to moving for an extended period.

I realized too that the road running I had done during training for my recent marathon had softened me.  O boy…trail running is no joke and my run yesterday was a great reminder for me.  I love road running but trail running is my first love and the more challenging of the two. So, over the next three weeks leading up to my 50K, I get to go back on the trails and re-connect with my original running passion – trails.  I will be tapering off the distance from now until race week, but it is essential that I hit the trails at a minimum 5 days a week this week, 4 days the following week, and Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday before race day Saturday, January 5th.

I will say after yesterdays run that I am certain I have set an unattainable goal of finishing my first 50K at the 10:10 per mile pace I had set ~ but I can guarantee, universe willing, that I will finish this race at the best pace possible for that day.  I have no idea what I was thinking signing up for a 50K less than 2 months after running my very first marathon, but I will remain loyal to my ambitious nature and keep moving forward as planned. 

Not every training run is perfect and I can say that I felt more alive after finishing yesterday’s run than before I started even though a bit soul destroyed that it had not gone as planned.   I think I’ll be fine after a few more days on the trails because there is where I learned my passion for running and that it what my body craves.

“Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” ~ Thomas Jefferson 

Right mind, right action ~ at the end of my run when I started feeling pain throughout my body, I remembered something key I have learned along the way. The more I focus on the hurt the more hurt I feel but when I change my focus to the stepping of my feet and the good feeling that movement brings throughout my body, the pain disappears.  And when I did this during my 17th & 18th mile yesterday, the pain disappeared and I was encouraged.  I knew at that moment that I could’ve completed all fifty kilometers by staying in that mindset.      

Do not underestimate the power your mind plays over your body – EVER. 

For those of you interested, a link to the map of yesterday’s run


No comments:

Post a Comment